In today’s culture, churches are increasingly faced with legal challenges and considerations when striving to operate their ministry with the utmost integrity and accountability. A recent ECFA webinar addressed several important legal topics facing churches today.
ECFA President Dan Busby was joined on the webinar by attorneys Steven Goodspeed and Mark Francis Juba of the firm Middlebrook Goodspeed, PLLC. Some of the questions addressed included:
- Why is it important to review our Articles of Incorporation or Certificate of Formation? If we are following our bylaws, isn’t that enough to keep us in legal compliance in terms of our governance?
- When it comes to Religious Freedom Protections, where do we need to document our Statement of Faith as it pertains to marriage, sexuality, and gender issues?
- Do we need a IRS Tax-Exemption Determination Letter (Form 1023)?
- What are the best legal safeguards for Employment Contracts, Volunteer Agreements, and Separation Agreements?
- When it comes to documented Policies and Procedures, can’t we just copy examples from for-profit businesses?
- What do we need to do to demonstrate due diligence in the areas of Child Protection?
- Can we offer “Licensed Professional Counseling” through our church? How does it differ from “Pastoral Counseling?”
- What is Christian Alternative Dispute Resolution and how is it helpful to churches?
- How do we handle special funding for Disaster Relief?
- What considerations do I need to be aware of concerning Domestication Procedures if we are moving to a different jurisdiction?
The webinar also included a time of Q&A. Click here for a recording of the webinar.